How to pack books & magazines.
Being prepared for packing up your home, packing your furniture and all of your belongings is 80% of the work done. So, like every boy scout, BE PREPARED!
To pack-up books & magazines you'll need:
- Packing Tape to reinforce the bases.
- Small size boxes.
- Marker pen.
- A firm surface to pack on.
TIP: Packing is back braking work so make sure that you have comfortable shoes on, as you may be standing for long periods of time.
Packing up books & magazines:
Though this section is all about how to pack up your books and magazines, I recommend that you use this opportunity to take stock of your collection.
Do you really want to keep all the books and magazines you have ever read? Perhaps now is the time to go through your collection and sort out those books and magazines that you really want to keep and those that you have been holding onto for other reasons... just in case etc.
With specialist magazines e.g. interior, food, clothes & fashion, property, health and fitness, sport or any other specific interest magazine. Now may be the time to carefully go through and cut out the articles or pictures that are of a specific interest to you... you may be keeping a few hundred copies of magazines for just a handful of pictures or articles!
If now isn't the right time or you simply don't have the time then consider putting these magazines into storage and make a point of working you way through them before they take root in your new home... magazines and books can be just another form of clutter to choke up our interiors.
Again now may be a good time to consider your selection of books and edit out those that you may never read again.
Donate to your favourite charity shop or have a book sale or sell them on ebay... don't forget that magazine collections have a value too!
How to pack...
How to pack books & magazines:
- Choose the smallest packing boxes that you have ordered for this process of packing books and magazines.
- Reinforce the base of your boxes using strong, wide packing tape. Reinforce the seems and run the tap up the sides of the boxes.
- Don't pack more than you can lift safely... a good guide is about 30lb in weight.
- Standard books can be packed without any special attention.
- pack like sized books together and fill spaces with smaller paperbacks.
- Mark with marker pen - BOOKS & MAGAZINES
Delicate/ antiquarian and rare books should be treated with more care.
- line the inside of the box with a black or other plastic bag. This is some protection against water damage.
- Use tissue paper to individually wrap important books that you need to protect from wear and tear.
- Very valuable books should be packed by specialist packers.
What to do checklist 4 - 6 weeks before moving home.
What to do checklist 5 days before moving home.
What to do checklist 2 days before moving home.
What to do checklist on moving home day.
What to do checklist on moving in day
Who to notify when moving checklist.